Thursday, November 29, 2007

Maryland's Loss: Jane Lawton passed away

Maryland lost one of our best legislators and one of our kindest
residents: Jane Lawton passed away this morning apparently from a heart
attack. Our hearts go out to her daughters, Stephanie and Kathleen. Jane
was one of my delegates, representing the 18th District. I liked Jane
from the moment I met her. She was always so positive and friendly. She
will be sorely missed by the many many people who knew and loved her.
The last time I saw her, she was hard at work trying to make the best of
the chaotic special session. She led efforts to help people in Maryland
on several issues, and did so with grace and intelligence. We were so
lucky to have known her. We lost her far too soon. We cannot hope to
replace her. If I may, I'd like to suggest renaming the Leland Center
which she helped build the "Jane Lawton / Leland Center." It's a small
gesture to honor such a special person.

No comments: